But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. – 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
- Target – Consider how unchurched people will get there.
- Goals & Purpose – Identify the purpose of the ministry activity (equipping, praying, sowing, harvesting).
- Measures & Success – Outline precisely how the gospel will be shared or how the ministry plays a role in sharing the gospel.
- Follow-Up – Design a follow-up strategy for prospects.
Evangelism Strategy Examples
Calendar specific events and services to present the gospel to unchurched people and seek their Spirit-led response. Promote each event as a reaping opportunity for members in their witnessing and relationship-building efforts.
- SPORTMAN’S BANQUET – Provide a sports-themed outreach event as a tool for men in the witnessing relationships they have formed (February).
- Speaker – Schedule Tony Dungy to share his story and personal testimony with the men gathered for the banquet.
- Invite a Friend – Challenge each man in the church to invite at least one friend to the event.
- Promotion – Promote the event in both the Collierville and Memphis newspaper sports sections.
- SCOTT DAWSON ONE-DAY REVIVAL – Conduct a One-Day Revival with evangelist Scott Dawson and expectantly seek a response in both morning and evening services (March).
- Invite a Friend – Ask each member to invite at least one friend or neighbor to the One Day Revival.
- Afternoon Student Event – Plan an afternoon student event with Scott Dawson.
- Promotion – Promote the event through newspaper and online advertising and create invite tickets for member use.
- EASTER SERVICES – Present an evangelistic message on Easter Sunday and schedule two morning services at 9:15 and 10:45 a.m. (April).
- Small Group Connections – Highlight the ministry of Bible Fellowship classes on Easter Sunday to make connections between classes and inactive members and prospects. Recognize Bible Fellowship teachers in the service by asking them to stand up.
- Invite Card Distribution – Ask members to distribute Bible Fellowship invite cards to guests they meet in the service.
- Class Fellowships – Ask each class to have special food and fellowship activities.
- Promotion – Promote Easter services in both Collierville community newspapers.
- VBS FAMILY NIGHT – Present the gospel to families on VBS Family Night (June).
- Family Night Invitations – Invite parents to attend VBS Family Night with their children.
- Family Night Programming – Plan a high-energy VBS Family Night program to capture and hold the interest of parents and their children. Involve VBS kids in various facets of the program to maintain their interest and ensure their attendance.
- Sharing & Follow Up – Present the gospel on VBS Family Night with a short verbal presentation and follow up all decisions made with a personal contact within one week.
- NEIGHBORHOOD HOME GROUPS – Ask Bible Fellowship classes and members to organize and promote neighborhood outreach studies on either Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday nights in July.
- Curriculum – Use needs-based materials such as Gary Chapman’s “The Five Love Languages,” Lisa Welchel’s “Parenting” or Dave Ramsey’s “Total Money Makeover” to make connections with unchurched people.
- Schedule – Make neighborhood groups the Sunday evening priority by canceling Sunday evening services in July. Provide an alternate senior adult study on campus for that age group.
- Promotion – Ask members to promote groups in their neighborhood. Resource believers with promotional materials such as postcards, flyers and door hangers.
- JOHN, HIS STORY DESSERT THEATRE – Present the gospel creatively through two dramatic presentations of the book of John (October).
- Invite a Friend – Challenge believers to invite their SNAP Card prayer list to join them for the play. Provide complimentary tickets for outreach use.
- Sunday Night Inreach – Promote Sunday evening’s 6:00 p.m. presentation as a night for church members to see the play.
- Monday Night Outreach – Promote Monday evening’s 7:00 p.m. presentation as an “Invite-Your-Friend” night. Target young and median adult Bible Fellowship classes with Monday night tickets.
- HEARTLIFE SUPPORT GROUP MINISTRY – Begin new needs-based support groups for forgiveness, addiction, depression, grief, divorce care and prodigal parenting in January.
- Faith Story Sharing – Ask facilitators to share their salvation story in their group as part of the start-up process.
- Promotion – Promote the new ministry with newspaper ads, yard signs, invite cards, inserts and radio ads. Create cards for each group and bundle them together in a “card pack” for member use.