But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. – 1 Peter 3:15 (NIV)
- Target – Consider the target audience.
- Goals & Purpose – Identify marketing goals and purpose.
- Measures & Success – Clarify the win and define success.
- Follow-Up – Design a follow-up connection point.
Marketing Strategy Examples
I. COMMUNITY AWARENESS MARKETING
Promote community-oriented events and programs with image and awareness advertising.
- NEWSPAPER ADS – Place newspaper ads in local newspapers each month to highlight community-oriented church ministries.
- The Collierville Appeal – Schedule at least one monthly ad in “The Collierville Appeal” promoting a key event or highlighting worship service times.
- The Collierville Herald – Schedule at least one monthly ad in “The Collierville Herald” promoting a key event or highlighting worship service times.
- SPORTS ADVERTISING – Show support for Collierville High School (CHS) teams and build awareness of church involvement in the community with targeted ads in key media pieces and locations.
- High School Football – Sponsor a CHS football schedule card and brand it with the church’s student ministry logo and Wednesday student (outreach) event time. Print varsity, junior varsity and freshman football schedules on a tri-fold card and distribute it widely throughout the community.
- High School Basketball – Advertise on the CHS basketball schedule poster and brand it with the church’s student ministry logo.
- High School Baseball – Sponsor a CHS baseball outfield sign and brand it with the general church logo.
- INVITE CARDS & TICKETS – Provide multiple invite cards and tickets throughout the year as an outreach tool for church members. This initiative is a recognition that one of the best ways to promote the church is by word of mouth and a one-on-one personal invitation.
- TrueLife.org Invite Cards – Subscribe to TrueLife.org and print TrueLife.org invite cards as the church’s general method for promoting services times, campus location, web site and social media presence. Print a student-specific card for use with middle and high school students and brand it with the student ministry logo and Wednesday student (outreach) event time.
- HeartLife Community Soul Care – Print HeartLife Community Soul Care invite cards for each support group and include leader photos and group descriptions. Create cards for the forgiveness, addiction, depression, grief, starting over (divorce care) and prodigal parenting groups. In addition, create a general HeartLife card promoting all groups. Distribute the cards churchwide to members, volunteers, small group leaders and staff (Winter, Spring and Fall).
- Prophecy Conference – Distribute invite tickets promoting “The Truth about the Future” Prophecy Conference with Dr. Jimmy DeYoung (January).
- Backyard Kids Clubs – Distribute Backyard Kids Clubs invite tickets to advertise neighborhood home groups meeting throughout the city. Print a list of all clubs and their locations on the reverse side of the ticket (June).
- Fall Family Festival – Distribute Fall Family Festival invite tickets throughout the community to promote the church’s Halloween alternative. Highlight secure candy gathering, puppet shows, carnival games, prizes, inflatable slides, bounce houses and free hot dogs in all marketing. If weather poses a potential problem, move the event indoors and promote this heavily (October).
- One December Evening – Distribute “One December Evening” invite tickets promoting the two performances of the church’s annual Christmas pageant (December).
- Additional Events – Identify other ministries and events that have community marketing potential and create invite cards and tickets as tool for member outreach.
- RADIO PROGRAM – Create community awareness of the church and the preaching ministry of Pastor Chuck Herring with a weekly radio program reaching Memphis and the surrounding area.
- Schedule & Audience – Contract for both Saturday and Sunday weekly 30-minute broadcasts from 8:30 until 9:00 a.m. each day on 640 AM and 100.7 FM. The Memphis stations are a part of the Bott Radio Network and the primary audience for the broadcasts are the Christian talk radio market.
- Promotion – Brand the church’s radio program with the “Kingdom First” name and promote it with a radio program worship folder insert twice each year (Fall and Spring). Add a radio program ad to the top of the service order in the Sunday worship folder.
- Web Advertising – Advertise the radio program on the 640 AM web site with a web banner ad.
- MOVIE THEATRE AD – Reach a younger audience with a digital ad in the 16-screen Malco Collierville Towne Cinema.
- Ad Content – Include age-appropriate community ministry information, service times and church social media connection points on the ad. Attach a map graphic to help audiences visualize the church’s location.
- YARD SIGNS – Promote service times in various neighborhoods with 250 yard signs placed in volunteers’ yards throughout town.
- Sign Content – Screen print full-color 2′ x 3′ yard signs with a simple service time graphic announcing the new church worship service meeting time.
- Volunteer Recruitment – Secure volunteer members and ask them place the signs in their front yards. Seek sign locations in high traffic and high visibility areas.
- Sign Distribution – Position yard sign distribution points at both major grand foyer exits and distribute signs at the conclusion of morning worship services.
- Budget – The total budget for this project is $2,500.00.