The 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX) is a simple, repeatable, and proven formula for executing on your most important strategic priorities in the midst of the whirlwind. 4DX includes:
- Discipline #1 – Focus on the wildly important
- Discipline #2 – Act on the lead measure.
- Discipline #3 – Create a compelling scoreboard.
- Discipline #4 – Create a cadence of accountability.
Goals help us focus on important and strategic things and move beyond the whirlwind of day-to-day activities that consume most of our time and energy.
Recognize the difference between urgent and important things:
- Whirlwind – The urgency of the day to day.
Urgent – It acts on you.
- Goals – Important, new activities
Important – You act on them.
Truly powerful and achievable goals are “SMART”. SMART goals are:
- S = Specific – They should target a specific area for improvement. Exactly what do you want to accomplish? Who, what, when and where?
- M = Measurable – They should quantify or suggest an indicator of progress. How will you track your progress? How much and how many?
- A = Achievable – They should aim for a realistically achievable result. Do you have what you need to achieve your goal? Is your goal too challenging? Is it too easy?
- R = Relevant – They should be goals that matter. Is your goal aligned with organizational vision and values?
- T = Time-Bound – They should specify when the result can be achieved. When will you achieve your goal? What is your time limit?
Each team needs wildly important goals (WIGs).
Because team focus is quickly diluted, it’s important that ministry departments and teams have no more than 1 or 2 WIGs at the same time. While it’s fine to have sub-goals or sub-WIGs, they must ensure the success of the parent WIGs.
Ask the question: What do you need to focus on above all else?
Finally, WIGs should be measurable and have a clear finish line (E.g. from x to y by when).
- Worship WIG – Increase worship attendance to 2,065 by 8/1/18.
- Community WIG – Grow LIFE Group attendance to 1,128 by 8/1/18.
- Service WIG – Mobilize 400 missions volunteers by 8/1/18.
- Evangelism WIG – Baptize 125 people by 8/1/18.
Ministry Action Plans
Use a short form Ministry Action Plan (MAP) to make strategy and goal-setting purposeful and concise. MAPs are vision clarification and strategy planning on a few sheets of paper and the goal is K.I.S.S.: Keep it short and simple.